Due to the nature of the multiplayer aspects of Dark Souls Remastered, there could be a range of reasons why a player won't be able to join another specific players' multiplayer session. We recommend checking the below list of possible reasons as well as the section below for how to improve your network connection and raise your chances of connecting to a specific player:
There are in-game restrictions on a player's profile/account due to constant disconnections from multiplayer sessions.
- This will usually happen if a player is constantly disconnecting from the game (pulling the network cable, Alt-F4 during invasions, or shutting off the system, etc.) while playing in "Online" mode during a multiplayer session to avoid player invasions.
There are restrictions on a player's profile/account due to violations of the End User License Agreement (EULA).
- If a player violates the EULA rules (that all players must agree to follow before being allowed the option to play the game), restrictions are placed on their profile/account to limit their online interactions.
The player's soul level (SL) or weapon level (WL) are outside of the range that is needed for a multiplayer session.
- There is no detailed information regarding the specific ranges that players need to be within in order to better co-op with specific players (but players should aim to be within +/- 5 levels to improve the success rate).
The player host (the one summoning other players) needs to be in human form (not hollowed) and the boss for the area needs to still be alive.
- Players in a "hollowed" state can be summoned into other players' games but can't summon players into theirs until they use humanity at a bonfire to be restored back to human form.
The player's network connection is configured as a "Type 3/Strict" environment.
- While players might, on rare occasions, still be able to connect to other players with a Type 3/Strict network environment it is recommended that players configure their network so they have a Type 1/Type 2 (Open/Moderate) connection for proper online interactions. Additionally, it is recommended that an ethernet wired connection be used (instead of a wireless one) for improved stability.
The area does not allow summonings or co-op.
- This can easily be checked by the fact that the White Soapstone is "grayed out" and unavailable.
Multiple players trying to connect to the Dark Souls Remastered servers through the same connection/network.
- Players trying to connect with someone on the same network connection may cause the router to label both characters/systems as the same player and assign the same IP address. Players will need to contact their router manufacturer for more information about creating a subnetwork. Additionally, they may need to contact their internet service provider (ISP) to ensure that their network can handle the bandwidth (as the game does require quite a bit of bandwidth per player).
Additional suggestions to improve network connection quality when trying to connect to specific players:
Power-cycling the router and running an internet connection test on their system.
- This process can be done by pulling the power-cord from their router/modem for approximately 15 to 30 seconds (this will clear out the cached memory), reconnecting the power cord (and allowing all of the lights to sync back up until the lights are stable). After this, perform an internet connection test through the system to ensure the network is properly working.
Limiting the bandwidth usage by members in the household using the same network.
- If there are people in the house that are streaming videos, file-sharing, or any other number of network intensive processes it can affect the bandwidth and the Dark Souls Remastered game's ability to properly connect to the game servers. It is recommended to limit such bandwidth usage when playing the game to ensure the best network connection for a multiplayer session.
Using the "Matchmaking Password" feature in the game to improve the chances of co-op with specific players.
- This setting can be found in the game's "Network Settings" option. Please keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive, spaces are required if added, and as such passwords must match exactly.